Yesterday I did a sprint triathlon and actually placed 4th, even though according to the official results I DNFd due to my timing chip blowing off in the water during the swim. I don't care, because it was fun and I finished and most importantly, felt STRONG.
I would have to say the most shocking part of that race is just how good I felt on the swim. I haven't been swimming at all, and I was able to just motor through the whole thing without even losing my breath. The swim was a half a mile and I had a stomach issue in the water, but other than that, it leads me to believe that the half ironman isn't totally out of the picture. The swim for the half ironman is twice as long, but I think I could do it, which has me excited. This was a big, but very pleasant surprise.
The swim to bike transition went smoothly, although it took a little longer than planned because I had to dig through my stuff for a clean pair of shorts which wasn't my original intention, but I'm glad I threw an extra pair in my bag. That, and it was raining the whole time, so I had to navigate through a sea of plastic bags to put on my bike shoes and dry socks. I feel like no matter how much body glide I oil onto my neck, I still cannot prevent getting Velcro burn from my wetsuit.
The bike was ridiculous. I was so nervous for the bike and have been stressing out about it since my accident. As a result, I was riding on my cyclocross bike and kept my nubby tires on due to slippery, wet pavement; there were some rather spectacular crashes on the wet course. According to my CatEye, I averaged 22mph for the 10 miles. There was actually a point during the race where I ran out of gears. I love that bike so much, but it really is limited for racing. However, I did take a peek at a gorgeous Felt bike at the multisport shop that I frequent. It's $2200, and I think I'm going to try it out and get it if it feels good. On Saturday I went on a 30 mile bike ride with a guy I'm kind of seeing who is a crazy cyclist. I felt good, my legs felt good and my heart was dancing. He really helped me work though those post-accident demons by keeping the day light and happy. It was pretty awesome. I think if I were to get that bike, I'd be able to pull the 56 mile bike segment of the half ironman together in time for September.
The run, which is obviously my strong point, was a little weak but only due to a nasty knot that I developed in my left hamstring a few days prior which affected my speed, but other than that I felt fine. I had a strong beach finish and upon crossing the finish line, got into an argument with one of the race officials about my lack of timing chip which now resides on the bottom of the harbor. I really could care less. I finished and had fun, and that's what really matters. More than that, it restored my faith that my big goal of completing my first half ironman in September is within reach. I'll have my work cut out for me to scrape it together, but I think I can. I think I can tri.
No comments:
Post a Comment