Anyway, after doing several sprint triathlons last year (a few of which I placed in my age group out of sheer dumb luck), the more I'm realizing that I'm going to have to buckle down and do some major fine-tuning to conquer this 70.3. Apparently, I'm learning that a Half Iron distance is not even similar to a Sprint or Olympic distance. This may seem intuitive, but in the context of running, is a 10k really that much different than a Half Marathon? Sure, one is longer than the other and they are different paces, but it's relatively simple to transition from one to the other on little training. In triathlon, the run is only one component, and the longer the event the more that can just go horribly, horribly wrong. I think that's why I'm attracted to these things. I like the challenge.
So...back to tonight's brick. I did a hard 10 mile bike and averaged 20mph according to Mr. CatEye, with which I'm very pleased considering I had to do quite a bit of red-light-stopping. Then my transition took me 96 seconds (START WATCH: stop bike, unclip, run bike on pavement 1 block, climb bike up 1 flight stairs, unlock door, put bike down, rip off helmet/sunglasses/gloves/put keys in jersey; take off shoes; put on sneaks; grab ipod/waterbottle; take quick breath and make sure nothing is missing; shut door/go downstairs; STOP WATCH): 96 seconds.
Then a 4 mile run. I wanted to do 6, but I decided on the run that 4 was a good stopping point because I'd like to run tomorrow morning and I don't want to risk injury. The first mile where most people feel like a cartoon character is when I run my best apparently. In my races it's when I've trounced people because my adrenaline is heaving, and this was an utter surprise at the time. The first mile mark is when I really start transitioning, I think, and tonight it hit me like a brick (it's all coming back now, apparently). I marched myself through that 4 miles though, and upon stopping, Senor Garmin informed me that I had done an 8:07 min/mile average for those 4. What I still find baffling about triathlon is how I run well after biking hard for more than twice the distance of the run, yet don't feel trashed. How odd. After a good stretch and hot shower I'm feeling tired but satisfied.
Probably for my own remembrance, here is a list of notations made during today's Baseline Brick (because Baseline is the beginning and that is a fine place to start, no?):
Bike
- I rode my cross bike tonight, and while I absolutely love this bike and it will remain in my fleet as long as possible, it's just so limited for racing. It doesn't handle hills, and I have to throw so much muscle and power into the thing in order to just maintain a high speed; cadence is laughable. However, it could be a good training tool, because once I get my triathlon bike I'm going to be like the flash.
- Tri-bike shopping is turning into a complete and total production by the way. Half of the problem is just getting to the shops while they are open for business, the other half is one part research, one part time and one part patience.
- Clips need adjusting. Because I'm a wimp in clipless shoes I tend to keep things loose. I need to tighten those up because my feet pivot far too much, and my right foot pivots into my cassette, which could be accounting for my chain issues.
- Waterbottle fell out of it's holster 1 mile into the bike and I ran it over at 17mph. Whateves.
- Tonight's route was fine for tonight, but for my longer rides in the upwards of 40-50 miles, I'm going to need a traffic and stoplight free course. There was quite a bit of stop and go, and a lot of defensive riding. It probably doesn't help that it's the Stanley Cup Playoffs and EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET TO THE BARS. NOW.
- I know my speed capabilities with the transition because I know what I've done in past races, but for training? Ridiculous. I need to get creative with where I can stash my bike/etc. for a more realistic transition.
- I think I took my time on the transition because I was concerned that it was my first brick of the season and last year my body was SO much different than it is now; I remember my first brick was an extremely painful experience. Tonight's transition once running was relatively effortless.
- Think about what I want to do with my body. Last year I worked on putting on 20 pounds per order of my doctor because I was dangerously thin as a result of being in an extremely toxic relationship. Although I'm better and healed, my body doesn't operate the same now and am still sorting it out. I'm still just adjusting to being healthy, honestly, and it's been awhile.
- I was exhausted physically already tonight even before the brick from the mileage I've already put in this week with intensity. If I were fresher (and had not ran this morning and twice yesterday, which included some hefty speedwork) I probably would have felt quite differently. I'm glad I did this fatigued though. From fatigue comes strength.
- Get some triathlon-friendly clothing. PLEASE. Sure, I could get away with running in a bike jersey and bike shorts as I did last year, but tonight's brick met or exceeded many of the sprint distances I've done (minus the swim). I felt like a jerk running in bike shorts and a jersey. And that chamois while on a bike is practical; running is just stupid.
- Consider totally different sneakers for triathlon; laces are just pointless.
- Work on breathing. When I'm regular running, I just fall into an instinctual pattern. A brick, I've found, will bring any seasoned runner to his/her knees, gasping for air.
- Hydration; I can run 16 miles now without fluid and totally dehydrated and be able to sort it out somehow. However, after being on the bike? Oh hell no. I sweat twice as much during a brick/triathlon than I do during just a regular run or running event.
I cannot say enough good things about the bike path from Arlington- its beautiful, bikers are all over the place, there are a few places to fill water etc. AND you can all the way to Concord along it, which is about 15ish miles each way, and Concord is great to ride out in. I'd be down for a ride, but I'd probably slow you down!
ReplyDeleteLet's do it! I'll just handicap myself by riding Gary, MY 45-POUND MOUNTAIN BIKE.
ReplyDelete