Monday, June 6, 2011

This morning's run wasn't just a regular run, it was one of those cathartic, almost-spiritual experiences.  What started off as just a clean start to a new week, gave me more; left me feeling freshly laundered, not unlike a clean bundle of fluffy towels produced from the dryer lint free.  This feeling was an odd dichotomy because underneath it all, I have been feeling so horribly raw lately.  But, there was something about my favorite combination of sea air, sun, sweat...that just made coming out on the other end of an 8 miler right-side up again. 

Life's just been plain bizarre lately and I've said it so many times before, but if I wasn't a runner, I shudder to even think of where I would be right now.  Renewal and rejuvenation are interesting concepts.  They seem simple on the outside, but do have intriguing complexities.  A friend of mine sent me this article the other day.  I've been since ruminating on this concept of viewing renewal as an opportunity for strength, and lately, I've been doing a lot of this while running.  What is it exactly about experiences such as this morning's run that causes whatever is plaguing to me to simply wash away and have everything be better again?  It could be simply pausing and breathing and realizing that time is inevitable and that it will continue mercifully marching onward.  Or, it could be the acceptance that life is imperfect, but there's always possibility.  It could be letting go in a good way, it could be breathing and it could be the realization that if that run could be so perfect this morning in every way, then there's hope that the rest of it will get there eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment